1 courgette, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, roughly chopped into medium sized chunks
1/2 an aubergine, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
100g of black olives, chopped
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
a handful of fresh basil
100g of cashew nuts (soaked for 6-8hrs in cold water)
1 red onion, finely diced
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsps of something sweet (sugar, maple syrup, agave syrup or honey will do the trick)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
juice and rind of one lemon
1 tsp of sweet paprika
250g of corn pasta or normal pasta for a non gluten free option
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius while you prep the vegetables. Then spread out the sliced peppers, aubergines and courgettes on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. The roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile drain the cashews and place in a food processor with the crushed garlic, a tsp of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Blend until smooth, adding a little cold water to thin out the consistency.
- Rinse the blender and then add the tinned tomatoes, basil, sugar, paprika, lemon juice and rind and the balsamic vinegar. Then pulse until smooth.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on a medium heat and gently fry the onions until they are softened. Then add the tomato mix from the blender and add the olives. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, adding in the roasted vegetables when they are done.
- Boil the pasta in salted water for the prescribed cooking times before draining and mixing through the tomato sauce. Pour the pasta mix into a deep, ceramic baking dish and spread over the cashew cheese topping.
- Finally bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the topping is crisped and golden.